HOW TO GET A PPS NUMBER
One of the most frequent questions our students ask us when they arrive to Cork is how to get a PPS number? It can be a bit complicated if you are not familiar with the Irish system. Don’t worry! Here is all you need to know about getting your PPS number in Ireland.
What is the PPS number?
Your Personal Public Service Number (PPS Number) is a reference number that helps you access social welfare benefits, public services and information in Ireland.
Do I need a PPS number to work in Ireland?
- If you are an EU citizen you can apply for a job without a PPS number. If you are not an EU citizen, the visa you have will depend on your eligibility to apply for a job. (www.citizens.ie)
When can I apply for a PPS number?
- As soon as you have been offered work you can apply for a PPS number.
- When making an application for social welfare benefits or if you want to access some hospital services.
What documentation do I need to get it?
If you are not an Irish citizen, the following documents are needed:
- EU/EEA citizen – Your passport or national identity card
- Non EU/EEA citizen – Your passport
- Evidence of your address https://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-How-to-Apply.aspx
Where can I get the PPS number in Cork?
- In Cork city the PPS office is located on Hanover Street(http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/office/Intreo-Centre-Cork-Hanover-Street.aspx, behind Cork English Academy (http://www.corkenglishacademy.com/)
Do I need to make an appointment to get the PPS number?
- You need to do a face-to-face interview if you want to get a PPS number. You can make an appointment online at https://services.mywelfare.ie/ or go directly to your local PPS number allocation centre. http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/Personal-Public-Service-Number-Registration-Centres-by-Count.aspx
We would like to hear from you!
If you have any questions about this article please contact us at email@example.com